Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sewing with Meme

So, I asked Andy's grandmother (Meme) if she would teach me how to sew. I mean I really just wanted her to show me the basics of sewing to see if it is something that I would enjoy before I put down some serious (less than $100 I think) cash to get a sewing machine of my own. I don't want to start making my own clothes if that is what you are thinking. I think that it is evident enough that I need all the fashion help that I can get without trying to design and make my own clothes. I just thought that I would be a good thing to learn and that I could make some simple things for our home or maybe some little ones one day. You hear that one day, I repeat I am not pregnant!!!
At any rate, I got a call last week from Meme asking if Monday would be a good night for Andy and I to come over for dinner and then she could give me some lessons. We jumped at the opportunity, one: because that meant that I was not going to have to plan a meal and then cook it! Woo-hoo! And two: because that meant that we were going to get to hang out with Meme who we don't hang out with enough just the three of us. Speaking of that... Gigi and Granddaddy (I know you are reading this, you are probably the only people reading this) we need to get together for dinner sometime soon. Let's talk and we will work something out.

Back to the story. We had a wonderful dinner and of course she fixed Andy's favorite meal: pot roast with potatoes and carrots, fried okra (she saved some from this summer, what a sweet woman), apple sauce (that was homemade, yummy!) and rolls. What a dinner! Then Meme and I went upstairs to her sewing room to tackle that machine of hers. Well, when I say tackle that is kind of what I did. Meme was so sweet and so cute. She sat down at the machine and showed me how it worked first, then she let me have a go at it. Um, let's just say that I broke the machine about a hundred times. She never once got mad or upset. I totally blamed it on the fact that the machine just didn't like me. I got tons of practice threading the machine and fixing the bobbin thread. (Don't I already sound like I know what I am doing!!!) We had a blast and laughed the whole time, it was so much fun. The funniest thing that she said all night was at one point she said that her machine looked at bit dirty and that she should have a cover for it. I said, "Well maybe I could sew one for you!" She replied, "No!" I guess she did not like what she was seeing so far. I just about fell out of my chair laughing. I said, "Oh come on Meme, you aren't going to let me sew you one?" She said, "Oh I thought that you said sell me one!" More laughter ensued. Overall it was a really fun night. I learned a lot and cannot wait for my next lesson!!!

Next on my list... learning to crochet. I will have to ask Gigi to teach me that so that I can learn how to fix the holes in my beautiful afghan that she made for me as a my wedding present/ welcome to the family present. Gigi, until I learn... I need your help. I have some more holes that need fixing. I guess this is what happens when you use the blanket to curl up on the couch every night. So all in all I think that I am well on my way to becoming a seamstress. Just kidding!!

Here is a picture of my beautiful teacher!!

1 comment:

Bass said...

I find that like you I am learning to do crafts and such now instead on in middle or high school, since all my time then was dedicated to the sport of golf. Not playing really opens up a lot of FREE TIME.. :)