Monday, August 25, 2008

We are the CHAMPIONS...

my friend! Yeah, we did it, she did it. The US Women's Basketball Team won THE GOLD MEDAL! I could not be happier if I had won one myself. I always want all of my friends and family to be successful and happy and I am always excited when great things happen to them. There is something about Kara that makes me just long for success and happiness to come her way. I think that it has to do with the first-hand experiences that I have had watching her dream and then working so hard to make both her personal and professional dreams come to fruition. (That word was for you, Kara!) If you have ever met Kara, then I promise that you have never met someone that works harder! She is determined, goal oriented, and passionate. She lets nothing get in her way and when she finds that there is an obstacle in her path she finds the best way to push through it and does not stop until she is finished.

Saturday was a thrilling day for our family. I went over to my mother's house and we sat on her bed, screaming at the TV, wishing and hoping and demanding that the US team pull out a victory over Australia. We got our wish. Not only did the us win but Kara played out of her mind. She sparked the team each time that she checked in to the game. She had 15 points, went 4-4 from the field, 1-1 from the 3-point line, 4-4 on free throws, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal in 18 minutes. She was perfect. I could not have asked for a better game. I have seen Kara after losses in college. I have seen the tears stream down her face and I wish to never see that again. I have seen the hurt of defeat and felt the pain that she felt each time. Saturday was wonderful. Saturday I got to see the grin from ear to ear and happiness dripping from her. Saturday I got to see Kara represent the US and become the best in the world. Saturday I got to see Kara become and Olympic Champion and see a Gold Medal placed around her neck. Saturday was a wonderful day!

There were doubters; and it has been said time and again that she was the last person picked for this team. It has been said that there were bigger names that should have gotten her spot. I don't think that those people have an argument anymore. Throughout the tournament Kara stepped up each time she was on the court. She sparked her team through her tough defense and smart play. She picked her times to shoot and when to pass. She brought an energy to the court that was undeniable. In my eyes she carried this team. She brought the passion that the rest of the team feed off of. Although I could not be there (and oh how I wish that I could have been in China) I was there in spirit. Our whole family was there in spirit! Kara represented us all and did a wonderful job. I am so proud of you, Kara! As your professional rebounder, you made me so proud and I could not be happier for you! I can't wait to see you soon!

Here is a picture of Kara that I think best represents her emotion on Saturday! I got it off the WNBA website and the photo credits go to: Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty Images. Thank you for capturing Kara's moment in ways that words cannot!!

No comments: