Wednesday, August 6, 2008

All in favor of parent licencing say "I"

"I"
My faithful readers know that at my former job I was a Case Manager. I worked with children that were somehow involved with DCS (Department of Children's Services). All of these kids were there due to some sort of a "family issue" either caused by the parents or in some cases by the child. I worked with foster kids, juvenile justice kids, and adopted kids. It was a wonderful job filled with lots of joy, but at times it was a heartbreaking experience. What I came to learn about the occupation of "Social Workers" is that they are under paid and over worked. They deal day in and day out with emotionally gut wrenching issues and are not fairly compensated for it. You are supposed to be "On Call" 24/7 for your families, and at times have to make YOUR family take a backseat. It is so unfair to both the worker and the families they work with. Both parties suffer resulting in more family breakdowns. While I was working I had some wonderful kids on my case load and some wonderful families. Kids that wanted to be better behaved and really worked on getting along and some parents that really wanted to have a happy, healthy family. I was wonderful to be a part of. I also had some kids that did not see a future for themselves and did not want to try. There were also parents that were just trying to make it until the kids were out of the house and out of their hair and they did not want me to be around. I was the problem and they wanted me out of their home and life.
Today I was came upon an article that just about ripped my heart from my chest. This is one of the most awful stories of neglect that I have ever heard. This is where the title from the post comes from. All the time we are required to fill out a form and show proof that we are capable of driving a car, being an employer, teaching children, coaching children, giving blood. We are not required, however, by anyone at anytime to prove that we are DESERVING (yes I said deserving) of raising a child. Now, Andy and I do not have any children yet. I hope and pray that we are blessed with the chance to be parents, and I would be all for taking classes to show people that we will do our best to make sure that our children are raised in a happy and healthy environment. Why is one of the most important jobs in the world regularly overlooked? Why are parents allowed to have children in the most horrible of environments. It is unbelievable and heartbreaking.
The following story does show all of us that even with all of the horrible people out there, that there are some wonderful people as well. The family that stepped up in this article deserves to be recognized and honored for the wonderful gift that they have given this child. A gift of wonderful parents that give her all that she needs and a brother that even when he gets less than his fair share of his parents attention is willing to help his sister learn and grow. Amazing. What an amazing family.
I would like to warn you this story is a hard read. Hard in that it is a story about one of the worst child abuse cases that I have ever heard, and ends without proper punishment of those involved...
http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article750838.ece

No comments: