Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I know you will not believe it, but

I was the only West High School Girls Soccer Coach that did not get a card last night. Amazing I know. I have always said that I was the "mean" coach and I totally stand by it. Last night was crazy. We played Bearden for the chance to advance on Thursday to the Regional Championship. The game was 0-0 in the first half but shortly into the second half we found ourselves trailing 0-2. Not a fun place to be. Well at some point in the second half the ref called a foul that we though should be against Bearden (and after speaking with the Bearden coach after the game he agreed that it should have been our free kick) well the ref pointed in the direction that would indicate that it was a Bearden free-kick. Well it was at that point that Sonny threw off his hat and yelled at the ref that he needed to start making some calls against Bearden (we had not gotten many calls in our favor last night to include a hand-ball in the box by Bearden, but who is keeping count- obviously not the refs.) Then the ref went on one of his power trips. I was telling a co-worker this morning that it is as if when the refs put on that silly shirt that they wear, that they immediately think that they are always right and will never make an incorrect call. That is where I come in and believe that it is my duty as a former player to make sure that they are sometimes brought down from that high horse that they ride on. Hahaha Well this ref did not like what Sonny had to say, mind you he did point in the wrong direction and had everyone confused. He came over and told Sonny that he had heard enough from him and gave him a yellow card. He then went back out on to the field and pointed in the direction that would indicate that it was a foul on Bearden and a free-kick for West. This guy must have been crazy if he thought that Sonny would get that upset because he called a foul in our favor. The worst part is he is not the worst ref that we have had this season. Well the game ended and we lost 0-3. Totally stunk, but you can't win them all. The best part of the whole night came directly after the game. The other assistant coach, Celeste walked over to the ref to explain what happened. Now you must remember that Celeste deals with high school kids all day long and has the patience of Job. She started to explain herself, calmly I might add, and the ref on that high horse of his had the audacity to put his hand in her face and say that he did not want to hear anything from her. Well that was is it. I think that she called him a jerk, which I think that he totally deserved, if for nothing else, but putting his hand directly in her face, and she turned around and walked away. The only bad part of the whole thing was that she had her back turned when he gave her the red card, because I would have loved to see what she did when he gave her that. I guess I will just have to imagine it. Then later I was talking to some other coaches who happened to be next to where the ref was keeping his things after the game. They said that they heard the ref asked his assistant ref if he made the right call (I am assuming the call where he gave Sonny the yellow card which we have on video where he made the wrong call!) and the assistant ref, who I think had a little brown on his nose, said Oh yes, you made the right call. AHHHHHHHHHH It makes me scream. I hope that we protest the fine that we will get for the red card just because the ref was terrible. Not sure that will go over well but I think that we should anyway.
With all of that said, at the end of the night I was the only one left standing without a card. Bummer... I like getting carded...and I need to keep my reputation in tact here...hee hee hee...

No comments: