Wednesday, April 28, 2010

last night and the night before...


All this just had to happen the week of the marathon...


So on Monday night Laney woke up in the middle of the night and needed to go out. I think that it was about 2:15. Andy let her out which means that yours truly gets to be the one to let her in. So at about 3:30 she started barking so I woke up and went to go and get her. Well I walked outside and whispered, spoke in my normal voice and finally yelled at her. She would not come and I could not really see her since it was 3:30 and pitch black outside. I gave up and went back to bed. She stopped barking for a little while but at 4:00 she started again. This time I pretended to be asleep so Andy would go and get her. Sure enough he went. I heard him calling her and then put on his shoes. I must have fallen back asleep because I did not hear anything else. The next morning Andy called me at work and asked if I had tried to bring Laney in last night. I told him that I had but that I was too tired to chase her and gave up. He told me that when he went to go get her that he had to walk all the way to the back of the yard and grab her by the scruff of her neck. He looked to see if there was anything that she was chasing or barking at and sure enough there was a dead opossum. Once he brought Laney back into the house he smelled her to make sure that she did not roll in it. She did not smell so he went to bed. The next morning he went out to get rid of the opossum and it was gone. Now he thinks that he may have been so tired that he imagined the whole thing. I think that the opossum was just playing opossum. Ha!

Well after work Andy decided to take Laney for a run so that she would be really tired and we could get some sleep last night. Well, last night was worse. I fell asleep on the couch pretty early and found my way to bed at like 10:30. In the middle of the night I heard this strange noise. I knew that it was coming from outside but I could not tell you what it was. I remember thinking that I hope that Laney did not hear it. Well that hope did not last very long because she started barking in our bedroom. What did my sleep deprived husband do? He got up and LET HER OUTSIDE! Laney instantly started barking and I told Andy that he could not leave her out there because it was 4:00 in the morning and our neighbors were trying to sleep. He said to just leave her and that she would be okay. I just could not do that so I walked outside. Again I tried whispering, talking in my normal voice and finally yelling. None worked and I dressed in my belly shirt, underwear, and Andy’s flip-flops that are 4 sizes too big for me had to chase Laney around the backyard. It did not talk long before a string of expletives flowed from my mouth. I was so mad at her. Once I got her inside I had to wipe here feet. She just looked at me like, “What? I don’t know why you are so mad.” I made my way back to the bedroom where I said, “That is it! I am giving her Benadryl for the rest of the week! I HAVE to get some sleep!” Andy did not say anything at the time, but today he told me that he thought I was talking crazy and was not making any sense! Well he was in for it. All night long Laney would hear whatever was out there and start whining to go out or barking. I think that Andy woke up 3 times to loudly tell her to, “Lay down!” in his stern voice that she normally causes her to cower. She sleeps on his side of the bed so this is totally his responsibility.

Needless to say, neither of us have gotten much sleep the last couple of nights. We had a text conversation today that went like this:

Me: My eyes hurt because I am so tired.
Him: I know, & just think Laney is snoozin’ right now.
Me: I know, it makes me want to set traps at home that will keep her awake, like alarms or the air compressor!

Can you believe that I am so sleep deprived that I would be willing to set a trap to keep my dog from sleeping all day and keeping us up all night!!! Laney is totally scared of Andy’s air compressor that he uses for work. If he turns it on while I am home she will come and find me and try to hide. Even if I am blow drying my hair. She is more afraid of the air compressor than my hair dryer. One time she even tried to get in the shower with me. I know it sounds mean, but I am not sure I can take one more night of no sleep! I hope you guys out there are getting more sleep than we are!


love always,

1 comment:

sarahjane said...

uh oh, cam. wait till you have a 2 legged baby :).