Tuesday, February 24, 2009

15

yeah, that is the number of miles that we ran on Saturday. It was a long way. We *ahem*, I use that term very loosely, decided to go back to Cades Cove and run around it to get our 15 miles in. I just want to tell you a little story from this time last year. Sometime last year Andy and I were training for the Knoxville Half Marathon. We got to the weekend where we were to run 11 miles and got the bright idea that going up to the Smokey Mountains and running Cades Cove would be a great idea. It was not and I hated every minute of it. We got there and just as we started to run it started to rain. Not only did it rain but it there was thunder and lightning the whole time. I clearly remember not getting 3 miles in and Andy asking if my feet were wet, to which I responded, soaked. Thank goodness that Andy's mother warned me because if you don't know the facts about Cades Cove it just might break your heart. There is a sign at the entrance of the loop that says that it is 11 miles. It lies, it is just a little over 10. I told Andy last year that I NEVER wanted to run this again. Actually I think I told him that after each mile. I hated the run and then proceeded to get sick on the way to Gatlinburg which just made the trip that much better.
So to bring you back up to speed, when Andy asked me on Friday where I wanted to run and I said I didn't care, he cautiously asked if I would be willing to go back to Cades Cove. I hesitated, and then forgot how much I HATED running there before and once again said that I would run Cades Cove. What in the world was I thinking!!!! Well we drove up there on Saturday. The weather was perfect. I think that it was about 50 degrees and sunny. The boys (Andy and his father) started out talking about how pretty it was and how the scenery was a great distraction. They were both on the lookout for deer and other forrest animals. I just ran. As I said before we were planning on running 15 miles and the loop is only a little over 10, so we ran down a path/road for a little while and then it got to hilly so we turned back. I think that one of the main things that I forgot about Cades Cove is how hilly it is. It is one giant hill after another. There were times when I thought that all we did was run uphill and we never when down a hill. Pretty frustrating when not only to you have to try hard to run up a hill but you have to also avoid getting hit by cars along the way. At one point I almost shouted to a car that I had just as much right to run on the road as they did to drive. It would have taken too much energy so I just kept my mouth shut. By the time that was made it to the end of the loop we still had 2.5 miles to run. We ran in circles until we got to 15 and made it back to the car. We were all pretty tired, achy, and so ready for it to be over. At the end of each one of our long runs Andy and I agree that there is no way that we could run another mile, but we somehow manage the next long run to add a mile or two. I guess this is why we train, to help our bodies realize that we can run for this long. Right now I just can't imagine doing the 15 that we did and then having to run another 11. This week is lighter, we only have to run 11 for our long run, but we still need any prayers that you want to send our way.
Most of you probably don't care about our running, but as I said in the previous post, it is kind of our life right now. That and planning for all of the upcoming weddings that we are in this summer.
If you see us on the road, don't be afraid to honk!!!

No comments: