Tuesday, December 8, 2009

your long lost friend

Where have I been? The truth is I am not really sure. Not much has gone on lately that I felt was truly blog worthy (although most of my previous post would tell otherwise since they were not exactly exciting news, but...) and we have just really been hanging out. We have some trips planned in the next month or so and hopefully I will have some good stories to share with you then.

One thing that I did do recently was finally get on the BONE MARROW DONOR LIST. This is something that I have been wanting to do since I can remember. I usually give blood when I can (some surgeries have prevented this in my life) and for some reason I always forget to tell them before I give the blood. Well I went online and found out that I could send off for a kit that would allow me to swab my mouth and send it back in and doing this would put me on the list. With minimal hesitation I signed up. I say minimal because this is a really big decision. Donating bone marrow is not pain free and without risk, but knowing that I could potentially save someone I think is worth the pain and risk. I talked to Andy about it (um, after the kit came in the mail, whoops) and he agreed that it was a good thing for me to do. So after swabbing my mouth I sealed up the envelope and sent it away. I am supposed to receive a receipt that they got my donation. I know that the chance of me matching someone out there is very slim considering I am an only child, but I wanted to give my best shot. Here is the picture that I took of the kit. I was so easy. Here is the website if you are interested: http://www.marrow.org/ Just click on the Join the Registry button to get started!


love always,

No comments: